Yesterday we held our annual company meeting to review the tremendous 2013 we had and share ideas to make 2014 even better! Managers from SAM properties came in to York, PA from Florida to Connecticut and nine states in between.
Jay Hoke, President & Managing Partner of SAM, kicked off the morning with three objectives for the day: have fun, learn something that each person can take back to their property, and get excited about 2014. All three goals were fulfilled by the sessions throughout the day. A review of 2013, shared that for the 5th year in row, SAM properties outperformed the properties of the four National Self storage REITS and that SAM now manages over 16,000 units! Marketing, improving sales and close rates, and spring curb appeal tips were then shared by Alyssa Quill, Kevin Bledsoe, and Melissa Stiles.
Additionally, SAM hosted Scott Zucker, for a legal review of storage property and tenant issues. This was followed by break out sessions featuring topics such as effective collections, accounting & reporting, incredible customer service, improving protection sales, and time management.
Some highlights of new information learned included:
- Tenants can bid on their own unit
- Power of Attorney ends with life
- Emails are good communication tool for late letters, but not lease changes
- Must have three bidders at auctions.
- Watch verbiage when using cameras. Signs should not say “Surveillance cameras in place”, unless the cameras are being monitored at all times. If you are using cameras, good wording could be “Cameras in use”, “Smile you are on camera”, and “Digitally recorded cameras in place”
- A good practice is to always collect names and emails from prospective tenants.
- Keep regular inspection/maintenance records of the facility.
- Speak 30% of the time, listen 70% to your customers/prospectives
- Know your competition, but do not be negative about them.
Along with the information sharing, we also gave out our annual awards. Congratulations to all the winners! We look forward to a great 2014!
|Manager of the Year, Ron from Riverline Self Storage|
|UPS Store of the Year Award, UPS Leitersburg|
|Assistant Manager of the Year Award, Larry from AR & C Self Storage|
|Above & Beyond Award, Brandon from Valley Storage– Valley Mall|
|Best Delinquency Award, Elinor from Princeton Self Storage|
|Accounting Excellence Award, Janine from AR & C Self Storage|
|Marketer of the Year Award, Lesa from Valley Storage|
|Marketer of the Year Award, Larry from AR & C Self Storage|
|Budget Crusher, UPS Leitersburg|
|Best Protection Sales Award, Sandy from Valley Storage – Williamsport|
|Move-in Master Award, Tesa from Valley Storage W. Washington St.|