Happy Earth Day! As a company, we are always looking for ways to conserve energy, recycle, and help keep the community beautiful both at our corporate office and the facilities that we manage. In celebration of Earth Day, we wanted to share tactics that we use to make our facilities “green” and efficient.
1. Solar Panels- Many of the SAM managed properties have solar panels. The solar panels also provide to the electric grid in their area, and reduces the facility’s dependence on the local electric supply.
2. LED Lights- We are changing our exterior lights to LED lighting which decreases our KW usage drastically versus using a normal light fixture.
3. E-waste recycling- Partnering with organizations like GREENspot, we host e-waste drop offs at our facilities. These drop-offs allow the public to discard their electronics safely and for free. The program recycles 98% of the material and reduces the number of electronics that end up in landfills.
4. Reducing paper- Whenever possible, we are emailing leases and correspondence to reduce paper waste. We also recycle our paper, plastic, and cardboard in the offices.
5. Motion sensor lights- Our facilities use motion-sensor lights inside the storage buildings. This allows the lights to only be on when someone is actually in the hallways, saving on electricity usage.